- Udhaiyam Gram dhall – ½ cup
- Udhaiyam Toor dhall- ¼ cup
- Udhaiyam Orid dhall – 4 tbsp
- Udhaiyam Moong dhall- ¼ cup
- Rice – 1 cup
- Finely chopped onions- 1 cup
- Coriander leaves- 2 tbs.
- Few curry leaves
- Fennel seeds- 1 tbsp
- Dry red chilli- 10 to 15
- Garlic- 1 whole
- Soak Udhaiyam dhalls and rice for 4-5 hours.
- Finely grind fennel seeds and dry red chilli. Add garlic and churn with the dry powder.
- Add this paste to the soaked rice and dhall and coarsely grind coarsely this mixture with very little water keeping the consistency thicker than dosa batter.
- Add finely chopped onions, coriander leaves, curry leaves and salt.
- Mix well and add water if needed.
- Heat the tawa and pour a ladle full of batter and spread evenly to make a thick adai.
- Drizzle oil and flip it to the other side once it is cooked on one side.. Do this until both sides are golden brown.
- Adai is ready to be served with chutney or avial.
- Udhaiyam Orid Dhall – 1 cup
- Chopped curry leaves – 1 Tsp
- Chopped Green chili – 1 Tsp
- Chopped coconut pieces – 1 Tsp
- Black pepper – 1 Tsp
- Salt – 1 Tbsp
- Wash and soak Udhaiyam orid Dhall for 4-5 hours.
- Grind the soaked dhall without adding water. If required add 2 tbsp of water so that its consistency is thick.
- Add all the ingredients in the batter like salt, chopped curry leaves, chopped green chili, chopped coconut and black pepper and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan, apply water on hand and prepare medu vada in a round shape with a hole in the centre and deep fry.
- Make it golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with coconut chutney and sambar.